ABOUT THE ART MUSEUM
The Sid Richardson Museum, a Fort Worth art museum located in historic Sundance Square, features permanent and special exhibitions of paintings by the premier Western artists, Frederic Remington and Charles M. Russell. The works, reflecting both the romance and reality of the American West, are the legacy of the late oilman and philanthropist, Sid Williams Richardson. Most were acquired by him from 1942 until his death in 1959. The collection also includes works by Oscar E. Berninghaus, Charles F. Browne, Edwin W. Deming, William Gilbert Gaul, Peter Hurd, Frank Tenney Johnson, William R. Leigh, Peter Moran and Charles Schreyvogel.
In 1947 Sid Richardson established a foundation for the purpose of supporting not-for-profit organizations that serve the people of Texas. Throughout the years, the board of directors and staff have sought to fulfill his vision by providing grants primarily in the areas of education, health, human services and the arts and humanities.
This Fort Worth art museum, which opened in 1982, is located in historic Sundance Square, an area of restored buildings in downtown Fort Worth. The site was chosen by the Foundation trustees both for its convenience to downtown visitors and workers and for the historic atmosphere of the area. With an annual attendance numbering over 30,000 annually, visitors come from all 50 states and over 53 foreign countries.
Beginning in 2005, the art museum underwent a 14 month renovation, reopening in 2006 with an additional 30% square footage, enhanced Gallery and educational spaces, and a new windowed facade. The new building contains red granite from the Texas Hill Country and is ornamented with bronze brass buffalo medallions. In 2013, the art museum expanded its Museum Store square footage, and enhanced its window display and signage, making it more pedestrian-friendly to visitors in Sundance Square.